Sunday, September 19, 2010

Coconut Milk Frappucino and Chocolate Syrup

Sadly, upon going gluten free, I realized that my stomach also could not handle milk. This meant no more Mocha Frappucinos :( So I decided to experiment and this is what works for me.

1/4 cup coconut milk (use the full fat, as the ice will dilute the taste)
3 tablespoons espresso
1 tablespoon chocolate syrup (recipe below)
Cup full of ice

Place in blender and then sip slowly as you enjoy the yummy taste (or just go ahead and gulp, it is yummy that way too:)




Chocolate Syrup (this makes about 2 cups)
I will be experimenting with the use of alternative sugars, but for now I just use raw sugar. And yes, even with raw sugar, this is not healthy (oh well, you do get the antioxidants from the chocolate though) so I do use this as a reward to myself only every once in a great while.

1/2 cup cocoa powder (if you can afford it, raw is the best, as it contains many more antioxidants and steer away from Dutch processed)
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Heat cocoa and water in a larger sauce pan until dissolved (it can bubble up pretty good at the boiling stage)
Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
Gently boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and add salt and vanilla.
Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment