Friday, December 11, 2009

Gluten-Free Flour Mix

This is the general flour mix that most people start out with. I have been able to convert so many of my wheat recipes with this mix, just by adding a little xanthan gum. If you have room in your freezer, I would store it there. My freezer is stuffed, so it gets squeezed into the frig.

2 cups brown rice flour
*2/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour

*if you cannot have potatoes...alternatives would be arrowroot, cornstarch, lotus root or amaranth starch

UPDATED December 2010
I have desired to use different flours and feel like my and Ethan's stomachs are not handling potatoes all that well...so here is a new mixture I have been using
1 cup tapioca flour/starch
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup oat flour (we are not as sensitive to small amounts of gluten, but if you have severe sensitivites, make sure it is verified gluten free!!!!)

I have also found a lot of success with this flour combination, if you care to try :)

1 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup ground flax
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour/starch
2/3 cup potato starch

No comments:

Post a Comment